Submission typesThis year, there are two different calls for music and selected pieces will be performed at two different concerts.
Option 1: New NIME - traditional NIME music sessions aimed at showcasing pieces performed or composed with new interfaces for musical expression.
Option 2: NIME with a story - dedicated to NIMEs that have been presented before. This includes new pieces for interfaces that have been previously presented at NIME or outside of NIME. This new option was developed for the following objectives:
- In alignment with the theme of NIME 2022 decolonising NIME, it promotes a vision of technology-mediated music practice that is focused on the actual cultural practice of making music rather than the technological innovation. It also challenges consumeristic ideologies or innovation for innovation sake.
- It aims to mitigate the environmental impact of the creation of a new NIME by fostering a culture of reusing rather than disposing.
- It promotes replicability of NIMEs, following the numerous debates that took place at NIME 2021 on replicability and documentation of NIMEs.
Submission informationAll music proposals will include:
- Project title
- Project description
- Type of submission (Option 1 or Option 2)
- Description of technical requirements
- Short program notes
- Link to audio or, preferably, audio-visual recording of the performance. The link should be unrestricted to ensure easy access by both chairs and reviewers.
Submission processNIME music submissions will be using Pubpub, a multimedia platform for publication. Authors will create submissions there, export them as PDFs, and submit them for review through the NIME 2022 Conference Management Toolkit (CMT).
Music submission template
Review ProcessA description of the review process can be found here. All of the submissions will be evaluated according to the following criteria: artistic and academic quality, appropriateness of topic, and ethical standards. Authors should also familiarize themselves with the NIME statements on diversity, environmental, and ethical issues.
- Music submission deadline: 22 January 2022
- Music final submission upload deadline: 31 January 2022
- Notification of acceptance: 15-19 March 2022